Memo Mondays: Week 3, Semester 2 2017
Welcome to Week 3!
Our Competitions department is running their first round of internal competitions this week - best of luck to all participants!
There are also two competition registrations which are still open:
- K. K. Luthra Memorial Moot - closes 17 October 2017 7pm
- Paper Presentation - closes 1 September 2017 5pm
Our Campus Experience department is running a Wellbeing Seminar on 15 August 1pm. The seminar will include a presentation by two clinical psychologists from Campus Wellbeing who will be discussing the importance of positive wellbeing as well as stress management. We will then have a presentation from guest speaker Elisabeth Goh, a Macquarie University Law alumna. We will have a question and answer session at the end so you may submit questions anonymously here.
The Campus Experience department is also holding an AGLC3 Referencing Workshop on 16 August 2017 11am. This is a fantastic opportunity to brush up on those skills and score some extra points in your assessments!
On 17 August 2017 12pm, our Social Justice department is collaborating with Will It Your Way to help students plan for their future including creating a will, enrolling to vote and knowing your rights and responsibilities as a young adult. Attendees will automatically be placed in the running to receive a free will kit from McCabes Lawyers.
Our Events department is also hosting our Start of Semester 2 Drinks on that very day. If you haven’t purchased tickets, we have a limited amount remaining so get in quick to avoid disappointment!
From the Publications department, our flagship magazine, The Brief, has published frequently this past week covering topical issues from legal affairs to business, the environment and social justice issues. Read some of our top picks:
- Same sex marriage continues to dominate the political debate. Emily McGeorge recaps the week and gives her thoughts in this piece.
- The makers of Nurofen recently copped a $3.5 million settlement over their 'Specific Pain' range. Read on for Jackie Marin's thoughts here.
- HBO, Game of Thrones, hacking and pirating - read Briellen Sands' piece here.
- Does the selective schools test need an overhaul? The NSW government thinks so. Read Anjali Nadaradjane's piece on the matter here.
Macquarie University is holding its Open Day on 19 August and we will be running a MULS stall. If you have family members or friends interested in studying law at Macquarie University, please encourage them to stop by to chat about our extracurricular activities available.