Gilbert + Tobin is a leading top-tier corporate law firm and a key player in the Australian legal market. We provide innovative, relevant and commercial legal solutions to major corporate and government clients across Australia and internationally, particularly the Asia-Pacific region.
Our reputation for expert advice extends across a broad range of service areas, including: Banking + Finance; Corporate Advisory; Competition + Regulation; Energy + Resources; Intellectual Property; Litigation; Pro Bono; Real Estate + Projects; and Telecommunications + Project Services.
With a focus on dynamic and evolving market sectors, we attract the brightest legal minds in the country; a diverse mix of highly talented and motivated people who work with some of the world’s most successful organisations on ground breaking projects and matters. We have become the legal adviser of choice for industry leaders who value our entrepreneurial spirit, creative approach and determination to succeed.
We are as restlessly ambitious and innovative as when the firm was established 27 years ago. Employing more than 500 professionals, we are proud of our continued recognition as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality and acknowledgement as a pioneer in providing pro bono services.
Some clients we have recently acted for and advised include the following:
– Woolworths Holdings Limited (South Africa) on the financing of its $2.15 billion acquisition of David Jones Limited by scheme of arrangement and $1.76 billion takeover of Country Road Limited
– Google Inc. on its landmark win in the High Court of Australia regarding online advertising practices and the responsibility of website hosts for third-party content
– Brookfield Multiplex on its 7-nil win in the High Court of Australia in the matter of Brookfield Multiplex Ltd v Owners Corporation Strata Plan, a landmark case for the construction industry
– Nine Entertainment Co. on its $1.9 billion IPO and transactions such as its debt restructure by a scheme of arrangement; securing broadcast rights for the National Rugby League; acquiring Perth and Adelaide-based affiliates of Channel nine; the sale of ACP Magazines; and acquiring the remaining shares of Nine Entertainment Co., which it did not previously own
– The Truth, Justice and Healing Council in the Royal Commission into the Institutional Responses to Child Sex Abuse
– Sundance Resources Limited on its development agreements with the republics of Cameroon and the Congo to establish a $5 billion iron ore project in both countries.
Our clerkship program
Our Sydney Summer Clerk program runs for 10 weeks and consists of two rotations across the firm’s practice areas. During your time with G+T you’ll get a taste of what it’s like to work in corporate law, with the opportunity to assist on pro bono matters and participate in firm-wide activities. Our clerkship program gives you direct access to partners and lawyers who will challenge you intellectually and help you develop your skills. You’ll partake in our customised in-house learning and development program and have access to support and resources to make sure you feel confident when you join your practice groups. Plus, there’s plenty of time to have fun and network with people across the firm.
Clerkship applications are open from 17 June – 19 July 2015.
What we’re looking for
Gilbert + Tobin values diversity and individuality, so we don’t just look for strong academic results. We’re looking for candidates who are interesting people, can clearly demonstrate their ambition, creativity, entrepreneurial spirit and ability to collaborate. We want people who can identify with G+T’s DNA of performance, Innovation, Authenticity and Collaboration. And it’s equally important that you enjoy what you do and don’t take yourself too seriously.
For further information about Gilbert + Tobin, visit http://me.gtlaw.com.au/.