We are a large Australian Corporate law firm. We have around 500 people, including approximately 100 Partners operating out of our offices in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide. By size we are one of the 10 largest law firms in Australia. Our industry coverage and client work is diverse.
We know you’re not just a student on work experience. We want to give you a realistic introduction to the legal profession.
How does this happen? From day one, you’ll be an active member of the team, working directly with experienced practitioners. We also want you to enjoy your time with us – there are lots of social events you can join – and what better way for you to get to know your colleagues?
We offered a structured program where clerks learn through a combination of hands-on experience, training and coaching and observation.
During your clerkship with Thomson Geer you will:
- undertake meaningful work for real clients, including opportunities to attend client meetings, observe court proceedings, conduct legal research, draft correspondence and court documents and develop technical skills in areas such as drafting, due diligence and disclosure
- participate in a structured induction program spread out over the course of your clerkship
- have the assistance and support of a supervising partner and a junior lawyer who remembers what it was like to be a new clerk and can act as a buddy/mentor
- have weekly catch ups with your buddy and with People & Development
- have secretarial support and access to fantastic technology and research resources
- participate in a formal performance review process with your supervising partner and buddy to reflect on your development and capture feedback from your colleagues.
How to apply:
Applications open 18 June 2018 via cvMail or the Thomson Geer website.
People & Development Manager
Students who complete a clerkship with the firm will be eligible to be considered for a position in the firm’s next graduate program, commencing in 2020. In Sydney, our program runs for 12 months and includes rotation among different practice areas to help determine the area of law which best suits you.
This program is geared towards expanding your skills across a range of practice areas. You will be able to express your preference for the areas of practice through which you would like to rotate.
All Thomson Geer graduates complete comprehensive training in-house, as well as structured external training which will support them to become well-rounded and technically competent practitioners, fully qualified to gain admission to practice.
Want to know more?
For more information about our clerkship and graduate programs and our firm, please visit our website.